Friday, August 7, 2009

This week, I...



- Said a sad goodbye to Richi and Ines as they returned to their respective home countries, but enjoyed fun goodbye celebrations that included sangria, a live dj, and lots of arroz con pollo.
- Had my first beginner's Latina dance class in San Isidro. We warmed up to the Black-Eyed Peas.
- Got to do some green networking at two rural eco-tourism events, which harkened back to my NYCEDC days.
- Sat through a FOUR HOUR meeting of the Board of Directors of FUDEBIOL and thought to myself, "okay, only 20 more of these during my Peace Corps service...
- Finished a draft of my 40-page community assessment report in Spanish!
- Spent two and a half hours scraping tape off of and washing old garbage cans at the school to use for recycling as all the students and teachers watched (a few played the drums on the tops of the bins) and no one offered to help.
- Fell on my face in front of my whole English class as I was entering the school in the rain and didn't see the step. Ironically, we had learned about body parts in the last class and the homework assignment was to write about a time when you hurt yourself or got sick. So I had the perfect anecdote to start things off on a humorous note...
- Count down less than a week until Dad, Lynne and Liza come visit!!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one helped clean the garbage cans. Somebody is not getting into the "recycling" spirit at this school. You are an eco-saint and now you're going to have the patience of one! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finally catching up with your blog! Have been meaning to tell you that I also never understood the difference between garbage and trash. In Colombia the word we use for everything including undesirable people, is basura. Now that we are more sustainable, I think that garbage is organic and trash is inorganic.
    Love reading your blog! Loved the Dan Stories.
    XOXO Sylvia

    ReplyDelete