Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back to School

So after another week of soccer camp, I was keeping my fingers crossed that the swine flu scare would pass, school would reopen, and peace and order would be brought back to Quebradas. And when the good news was announced at home, I was definitely more thrilled than my two host siblings. After a quiet weekend at home (the family was at a retreat for Duglass' office) and a fun but sad going away party for Richie and Ines with their host families, I set off nervously for my first day of environmental education classes Monday morning. It didn't much help that the night before, I watched Episode 3 of Season 4 of the Wire, where Prez has his first day teaching math at an inner city high school, resulting in one kid stealing all the bathroom passes and a girl bleeding from the face...Okay my day wasn't THAT bad, but it was tough! I got there and the school director invited me for coffee with the other teachers, which was a nice gesture so I had to drink it of course even though I had just had a cup at home. Then they told me my schedule: start with first graders, then second, then sixth, then third. Thirty minutes for lunch. Then fourth grade, then another section of third, then fifth, then sixth. Forty minutes each. That took me from 8:40 am to 5pm! And the teachers didn't stay in the classroom with me, they just kind of handed off their kids to me so they could go grade papers or drink more coffee. So being new, not speaking great Spanish, and teaching a class that isn't graded gave me very little leverage. Luckily I had made some friends during soccer camp and just from being around the community, but even the kids that were nice to me refused to pay attention for 40 minutes straight! Anyways it was an exhausting day but I definitely learned a lot about how to cater my lesson plans in the future and that we should spend as much time outside doing activities as possible. I also have a newfound utmost respect for elementary school teachers...

Today was a first mini-success at the school: I got 8 cans donated from the municipality of San Isidro that we're going to use as recycling bins. I say cans and not trash cans because they are currently sealed shut with metal tops, so we need to find some man with a saw in town to take care of that issue. And I say mini because, as I learn more every day, everything here is poco a poco. I also went into the high school for the first time today, which isn't located in my community but about 3 km south, and introduced myself to the Assistant Director and met a teacher and some students who are working on a school newspaper project, which I am hoping I can tap into for a newspaper project I want to start in Quebradas. They were very receptive, respectful, and motivated, which both impressed and relieved me after tough times at elementary school.

Another highlight from last week was when the electricity went out during my evening English class. After all the girls stopped screaming, we continued the class in the dark, with everyone sharing cell phone lights to read their notes. That's the kind of resourcefulness that every Peace Corps volunteer needs!

Up later this week is more talking in circles with the local artisan group, an eco-tourism network meeting at FUDEBIOL, the opening ceremony of FOUR news shops in Quebradas (we might as well call it a mini-mall), and a surprise 73rd birthday party with a live band. Should provide for more entertaining stories next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment