Monday, December 21, 2009

Mucha Fiesta (12/20/09)


Lila and I in our new aprons

Naomy: 13 year old hair stylist/makeup artist

Birthday festivites

English class party

Flour fight!

Well it’s officially summer break in Quebradas, meaning nooooooooooo work is to be done until about mid-January. But it’s actually been more fun and lively than I expected and given me an opportunity to spend time with people socially without thinking or talking at all about projects. Tuesday was our end of the year party with the youth group at FUDEBIOL. Everyone brought food (I made more latkes from the leftover potatoes) and we played musical chairs and piñata, which I learned has a twist in Costa Rica. In addition to candy, they put flour inside, so whoever ends up hitting it open gets covered in flour. And then all the other kids run and cover themselves in it too! I decided to keep my distance and just take pictures…

Thursday was my English class end of the year party, after our final exam on Monday, which went pretty well. Again, we all brought food and did a Yankee swap gift exchange, which they had never done and was pretty fun. Then a few of the of-age students took me out to the next door bar (yes, NEXT to the school) to have a beer for my birthday. Friday, to mark my quarter century, I got up early and met Jared and Morgan to catch the 7am bus from San Isidro to Dominical, where we spent the morning lounging on the beach. The highlight of the trip, as I’m pretty sure I’ve already told everyone I’ve spoken to, was the discovery of a new homemade ice cream shop run by a couple that just moved out there from Brooklyn. REAL chocolate and homemade cones – enough said.

Friday night I went out with four friends from Quebradas to their favorite Friday night bar, which has dancing and karaoke. I don’t know where I found it in me, but I sang the Titanic song after only one beer! Maybe I’ve just become that much of a lightweight…The nice thing about the way they do karaoke here is that people just stay seated at their table instead of standing in front of everyone, so you don’t always know who’s singing. Then again I was the only gringa at the bar and the only person that sang in English, so they probably made the connection. So it was a pretty fun birthday and it was also of course wonderful to receive many calls and emails from home making me feel special and loved.

This weekend may have been my most social so far within the community. Saturday I went to two graduations, high school in the morning and elementary school in the afternoon. They were pretty similar to what I recall of mine at home, but there were no robes or mortar boards, just sashes and all the kids dressed in their uniforms. Also nobody smiles for pictures here, which is kind of weird. Then Saturday night was the annual Christmas dinner at FUDEBIOL, a fancy event with 80 guests, a caterer and live music. The whole place was decorated with candlelight and the room where I teach classes was completely transformed with elegant round tables and centerpieces and stars painted on the windows and material hanging from the ceilings. It was really beautiful. I didn’t know that many people there, but it was nice to be part of the event (and to be comped the 10mil ticket) and the members of the Board of Directors seemed very happy with the turnout. Also, I wore a nice dress and a friend straightened my hair and did my makeup, and every single person I did know made the joke that they didn’t recognize me so – feminine. I guess I’ll take that as a compliment…

And today was the Christmas party for AQUA, the artisan group I have been working with. More delicious food and another gift exchange, but this time everyone had to bring a handmade piece of artwork. So I had to come up with something quick and with few resources. I found instructions on how.com for a pop bottle bracelet that seemed pretty easy, so I went to the school where we store the recycling and took 20 caps off the tops of beer cans and wove them together with some ribbon I had and it turned out all right. Everyone appreciated the effort since I was the only non-artisan at the party. I on the other hand received a very lovely and professionally sewn apron, which I can hopefully make use of now that I am sort of learning how to cook.

In the evening I was invited to two family posadas, one at 6 and one at 7. I guess it’s the equivalent of Christmas caroling in the US, but, as to be expected, much more religious. A group from the church picks a different family to visit every night for the nine nights leading up to Christmas, and they do a half hour performance which includes singing, discussing a theme from the Bible, praying, more singing, and then, of course, coffee and bread. So I sang, prayed and ate twice in a row tonight, which was more than enough, but it was fun to be a part of.

And tomorrow I begin my real vacation when I leave for San Jose to pick up Dan at the airport and we head north to Arenal. But I’m really glad I was around the community this week and got to participate in some traditional celebrations. It felt good to be invited and included into so many different families here who understand how hard it is to be away from my own family during the holidays and want to make me feel welcome. After just over six months in Quebradas, it is starting to feel something like home.

1 comment:

  1. hay fotos que me recuerdan a lo que yo viví...esas noches de salida con sirleny e imperial

    ayssssssss

    ReplyDelete