Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Glory(ous) Day

Hello readers -
This is my first blog post EVER, so I am still working on my opening line. I depart for Costa Rica in less than 6 hours and from my hotel in less than 2, so there is no way I am going to sleep tonight. Instead I will attempt this semi-lucid blog post.

Today was my first official Peace Corps activity, "staging" at the Holiday Inn in Georgetown. We had to fill out a lot of forms and sit in a conference room for a lot of hours, but I got to meet the 51 other volunteers I will be going down to Costa Rica with, which was pretty exciting. It seems to be a diverse group in background and experience, but everyone seems thrilled that they got assigned to Costa Rica and ready for the adventure to begin. We didn't do official introductions yet, so I just met the people at my table and in my activity groups. I also vo
lunteered to be a group leader for our departure, meaning I have to help with logistics getting everybody's bags to the airport, handing out passports, etc. My first big test as a Peace Corps volunteer
...

Tonight I went to dinner with friends at the most American place we could find in Georgetown, called Old Glory. I had a Bud Light, chili fries and a burger, followed by Haagen Daazs ice cream for dessert. I am feeling very satisfied as I brace myself for two years of rice and beans.

Pictures to follow when I figure out how to upload them. I suppose I should start signing off in the spirit of my soon to be new home.

Pura Vida,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Katie. Have a great time and visit us in Key West anytime. Love, All the McConaghas

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete